3. The Scarecrow


Before hitting the road, Dorothy packed some food from her house, and put on the Stern’s sneakers and a white and blue Wolves hoodie. Then, Dorothy and Toto walked all day long and, when it was getting dark, they found a little house where some Muskies were having a party. It was the house of Wayne, and they were celebrating the freedom from the Stern witch and his Muskies’ jersey curse. He invited her inside.

-          You must be a great sorceress – Wayne said – because you’ve killed the witch and wear his sneakers.
-          Stop saying that. It was an accident and…
-          Yeah, and you also wear blue and white. White as the color of the witches, and blue as the color of the Muskies. You must be a good witch so. And you’re also very pretty…
-          Ok, if you say so…
-          Please, stay the night.
-          Errr…
-          No, I mean… You’re just a little girl, I’m not into that... Besides, I have a gorgeous girlfriend. Surely you’ve seen pictures of her. I just was being polite to you...

Dorothy and Toto spent the night at Wayne’s, and the next morning they were ready to get back in their way.

-          How far is Emerald City? – Dorothy asked Wayne
-          Don’t know. The Wizard Adelman speaks to me very seldom. I think I can do stuff for him, but he keeps forgetting me…
-          Oh, sorry to hear that. I could ask him to use you a bit more, if you want.
-          That would be great. Thanks Dorothy.

And then, Dorothy and Toto kept going.


Not long after, Dorothy and Toto stopped to rest by a Scarecrow. Dorothy looked at the Scarecrow. It was a decaying mess. It was dressed in rags and full of straw. The head was stuffed with weed. Suddenly, the Scarecrow spoke.

-          Yo, bitch!
-          What?
-          Wassup, yo?
-          Look, it’s weird enough for me to speak to a Scarecrow. Could you please use Standard English and not that weird gansta slang?
-          Sure, ma’am.
-          What’s your name?
-          B-Easy ma’am.
-          OK, so B-Easy… What are you doing up there?
-          Don’t know. Just hangin’ up.
-          Can’t you come down?
-          Nope, ma’am. I’m stuck. Wouldja help me down?
-          OK.

Dorothy helped the scarecrow down and they keep on talking.

-          You see. I’m going to Rick Adelman’s to see if he can help me go back home.
-          Who?
-          The wizard, you know?
-          Don’t know nothin’ ma’am. Look at my head. It’s full of weed and shit. Haven’t got no brains.
-          Oh poor thing. You have the skills to be great, but without IQ you’re doomed.
-          Doncha think that Rick of yours can gimme some brains, yo?
-          Well, I don’t know. But you can come along with me. If he can’t help you, you’re not going to be worse than now.
-          That’s right ma’am. Lemme go with you, okay?
-          Sure, the more the merrier.

Toto wasn’t so delighted with the scarecrow company and started barking at him. B-Easy was very afraid, but Dorothy comforted him, saying that Toto was harmless and he should fear other things, like a lighted match.

-          You see, I luv light’d matches. I like bit of fire in the weed of my head now and then, and the smoke and such.
-          You’re positively brainless.

And the three kept going to Emerald City.